Tuesday 20 September 2011

A helping hand

I have been away for a while not in body but in mind as I have been writing my own book and taken up a musical instrument, breaching new personal horizons. This all in all has lead me back to blogging and in a hubris manner I have been reminded of the word polymath. However, what use is knowledge if you do nothing with it so leading me neatly to the word:
Philanthropist
This means a person engaging in philanthropy; the pursuit of charity with an altruistic humanist touch. It somewhat feels that this word is reserved for those wealthy souls, like Bill Gates, who turn in their later life to champion charities. Yet the way it rolls of the tongue drives me to persist in finding a way to slide it neatly into my everyday vernacular.
This is for once where I am a little stumped, it is all well and good using it as your synonym for a humanitarian or suggest someone's philanthropy when they are generous nevertheless those occasions are few and far between.
Perhaps I need to go to more charity events in order to hobnob with philanthropists . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment