Thursday 1 July 2010

Another Word

I found great joy in writing my last note and it has lead me to look to a plethora of reading materials in search of more. I am starting to notice the beauty of language available. The subtleties of certain turns of phrase, once lost on me are on bringing new found joy.
The word for today is Hubris
The description of which is akin to arrogance. As in it describes a state of over confidence in ones self or indeed an overindulged sense of pride.
Thus you could use the word to pitch back a contemporary who is excessively pleased with themselves. However this would be some what of a double edged sword if the retort to your saying 'You are being overtly hubris' were to be 'what is hubris?' because undoubtedly in this scenario it would draw a sly smile on your part. With this knowledge of you bettering your contemporary unwillingly your ego would grow and subsequently cause a possible self confidence bordering on hubris it's self. An ironic turn of events I am sure you could appreciate.
Yours ingenuously
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment