Wednesday 14 July 2010

Oh I do love sarcasm, or do I mean irony

It appears to have became a common phrase to say 'Only the English really understand satirical wit'. However occasions of late have caused me to question if we actually know ourselves.
The main reason I question this is the often liberal use of the word sarcasm to the extent that it has almost become a cliche.
Sarcasm is when appearing to praising something while insulting it. Such as 'Yes Sire you look wonderful' when in fact he is an grotesque amorphous blob. Now the case of saying 'Sure I'll do that washing up later' when in actual fact having no such intention is really a form of verbal irony.
So to clarify saying one thing and meaning another is irony yet an insulting meaning to a complement is sarcasm.
Yes the differences are subtle nonetheless they are still there.
For day to day life this may just be a fastidious flight of fancy, yet I urge you next time pause a moment just to query. Because of course without questions we would have no answers.
Yours incredulous as always
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment