Thursday 22 July 2010

The Quinquennial Word

In order to enhance our current common parlance I give you this post. However, in expanding the plethora of words used in day to day correspondence I must avoid earlier admonitions suggesting such expansive use of unusual vocabulary can cause sophomania.
With this thought prominent in my mind I give you:
Unctuous
This is an adjective for someone or something that is overly smooth. Yet a secondary use, which is often adorned with a derogatory intonation, is that of someone who is excessively suave or smug. Hence the link to the earlier mention of sophomania which has an essence of smugness encompassed in it.
Thus you may use unctuous in order to comment on a slippery surface, to indicate someone's hubris mood or someone who is rather sophisticated.
With that I bid you farewell,
Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment