Friday 27 May 2011

Finding new words

I have created this blog to be an out let for my expanding vernacular. Just a list of, what I find, interesting words. However, it had never come to my attention what I was doing in creating a list of words with definitions. It is a very crude dictionary, and so to today's word
Lexicographical
This is the act of writing and editing a dictionary. I suppose I should not really be surprised by this subconscious lexicographical tendency. For I was raised in a town with a link, some what tedious one, to one of the original dictionary writers. Dr Samuel Johnson writer of the 'Dictionary of English Language', that predated the Oxford English dictionary, was once forced to stand in the rain, without a hat, because he refused to help his father on his book stall in Uttoxeter. This means so much to those in the small east Staffordshire town that there is a memorial in the market place to commemorate it. So maybe making a dictionary is not such a bad thing as it could lead to inconsequential parts of your life being commemorated.

No comments:

Post a Comment