Monday 9 May 2011

Ooo, that sounds nice

One of my main reasons for enjoying words, apart form those which give me an excuse to used z's and x's, is the sound they make when saying them. Something perfectly sonorous is a delight to the ear, almost like a Brahms symphony. With that in mind I give you:
mellifluous
As I have already alluded to, as well as sounding nice, this word actually means to be sweet sounding. This comes through an alternate meaning to be sweet with honey, inspecting deeper still following the etymology of the word it would be directly 'to flow with honey'. Personally I love the imagery of something sounding so nice that it flows like honey, sweet and nonchalant. The mellifluous qualities of a word I believe can be worth more than the insipid nature of them. Although, many things can be said about empty words, if they are sweet on the ear I see them as beyond reproach. However, this could dive you into the question of what is sweet to hear? Is it something as I suggest above 'music to one's ear' or is it something more personal like an ego stroking.

With this thought I leave you in order to find your own mellifluous things.

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment