Monday 23 May 2011

Your own experiments

Ever had someone inspire and coax your interest in a subject to such an extent that it causes you to go away and find out more by your own means? Well if so you have already encountered this adjective
Heuristic
It means, as I have already hinted at, the act of pointing out, or indicating, to the extent of stimulating interest to cause further investigation. This is one of the few words that I have found for which I love the connotations but struggle to find a straight forward example. My reasoning is thus, if I where to say 'go away and learn about it yourself' it sounds negative. However, the idea of someone inspiring you, such as a great teacher, to the extent that you devote your own time to finding out more, then that is a good thing. Heuristic can also be attributed to trial by error methods of experimentation the idea of learning by doing, rather than learning from someone else's experience you are having your own.
This gives great credence to heuristic learning, to which I would like to add I hope that this blog is heuristic to your interest and expansion of vocabulary. On which note I will leave you to do your own investigation.

No comments:

Post a Comment